Urban Baseball Academy02/17/2006 7:42 PM ET
Urban Baseball Academy Mission Statement
To set the standard for instruction, teaching and education in Urban America through the strength of the National Pastime and to enhance the quality of life in the surrounding communities.
We acknowledge that Baseball is truly "America's Game" and participation can help to effectively develop character and is critical for interpersonal development and success. Therefore we will work diligently and positively to develop in the youth we instruct: integrity, respect, accountability, character, self discipline, personal responsibility and teamwork.
The Academy will build championship caliber major league players and solid major league contributors to society. We will instruct all aspects of the game of baseball in all areas of opportunity that our great game affords: maintenance and grounds keeping, umpiring, scouting and player development, sports journalism and broadcasting, statistics, athletic sports training, coaching, and many other aspects of professional and interpersonal development,
Program curriculum will include but is not limited to:
Who We Are
The Major League Baseball Urban Academy is a 10 acre complex on the grounds of Compton Community College. The Academy has two major league dimensioned fields consisting of one Show Field with lights along with one auxiliary field. The Academy has batting cages and pitching mounds and a state of the art Clubhouse, to facilitate baseball training at the highest possible level. The Academy also has two youth fields to facilitate youth baseball and girl's softball.
Academy staff will consist of former major and minor league players, instructors, collegiate coaches, scouts and certified athletic trainers.
The Major League Baseball Urban Academy will partner with the surrounding school districts, community colleges, universities and youth organizations, to provide educational programs and classes in athletic turf maintenance, statistics, umpiring, athletic training, journalism and broadcasting. Additionally we will provide tutoring and counseling for the purpose of academic and personal development.
The Academy is a fully functional not for profit 501(c)(3) corporation and any and all donations are fully tax deductible according to federal guidelines and restrictions.
Programs and Partnerships
The Academy will serve as the "Bricks and Mortar" extension of all Major League Baseball youth supported programs. The Academy will partner with local and national Major League Baseball youth supported programs or leagues, to promote youth baseball and softball skills development via tournaments, leagues, camps and or clinics.
Hours of operation
The Academy will be open and operational year round.
Hours of operation when high schools are in session: 12:00 pm till 8:00 pm.
- Major league quality baseball and softball instruction for all levels of youth participation starting at age 5 through high school
- Camps and clinics offered weekly and or monthly for skill development of the youth in the local community
- Camps and clinics offered quarterly for the development of coaches, umpires, athletic trainers and scouting theory
- Educational programs developed in cooperation with the local accredited educational facilities to enhance personal development via individual determination
- High level competitive baseball and softball tournaments to further enhance individual and team skill development
- Organized baseball and softball leagues at every appropriate level to offer the National Pastime to all skill levels in the interest of personal growth and skill development
- Host and partner community events to enhance the growth and development of the Nation's Pastime and create local community involvement
Weekend hours of operation: 6:30 am till 9:00 pm (Saturday), 9:00 am till 6:00 pm (Sunday)
Summer hours of operation: 6:30 am till 9:00 pm (Saturday), 9:00 am till 6:00 pm (Sunday)
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.