SD@COL: Gyorko leaves with injury in the 10th

SAN DIEGO -- Injured second baseman Jedd Gyorko will play two rehab games with Double-A San Antonio starting on Wednesday. The Padres chose to let him rehab there because of its proximity to Florida, as the Padres begin a three-game series against the Marlins on Friday.

"If he comes out of those feeling well, and his leg has handled the two games we play him, there's a high probability that he'll be activated for the [Miami] series," said Padres manager Bud Black.

The Padres won't focus much on Gyorko's numbers at the plate, but rather how he handles playing in a game. The rookie was hitting .284 with eight home runs when he went to the disabled list on June 10 with a right groin strain.

"Two weeks away from an at-bat … that's not really a big deal for a guy like Jedd," Black said. "We're much more concerned with how he feels physically and how he's moving around second and on the base paths."

Prospect Erlin to start for injured Richard

TOR@SD: Erlin's superb spot-start earns first MLB win

SAN DIEGO -- The Padres announced Robbie Erlin will start Wednesday's game against the Phillies.

Erlin fills the spot of the injured Clayton Richard, who was placed on the disabled list on Saturday with a left shoulder strain. The Padres are expected to make a roster move to recall the left-hander after Tuesday's game.

Erlin's turn in the rotation at Triple-A Tucson comes on the same day as Richard's, and Erlin had already made a spot-start for Richard on June 1. That was his first career start and win, as he held the Blue Jays to two runs in 6 2/3 innings.

"He's getting to the point now where he's about ready to break through," Padres manager Bud Black said of the 22-year-old.

For Tucson, Erlin was 6-2 with a 5.25 ERA in 12 starts. The Padres' other candidates to make the start included long relievers Tyson Ross and Tim Stauffer.

Ross, who pitched two scoreless innings in Tuesday's 6-2 loss to the Phillies, started the season as the club's fifth starter, and made three starts in April before an injury forced him to the disabled list.

"I don't think it was real prudent for him to make this start and expect him to go even five or six innings, based on pitch count and stamina," Black said about Ross.

Ross has been in bullpen since April and Black said he likes having him and fellow long man Stauffer there.

"I think it was a move to keep a little continuity," Black said.

Padres hopeful Cabrera can return next week

ARI@SD: Cabrera exits early with hamstring injury

SAN DIEGO -- Everth Cabrera is eligible to come off the disabled list on July 2, and the Padres are hopeful that their dynamic shortstop will be ready to do so.

Cabrera was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to June 17 with a mild strain in his left hamstring that happened while he was trying to steal a base.

Cabrera has been taking batting practice, and he could begin running the bases and fielding by this weekend.

"He's doing much better," Padres manager Bud Black said. "He's going to travel with us out east and get on the field, doing running, fielding. We'll see what happens Friday and Saturday and go from there."

The Padres haven't determined whether Cabrera will need to play in any rehab games before joining the club.

"We think there's a possibility that he may come off the disabled list on that 16th day," Black said.

Cabrera had been the Padres best hitter, and one of the best players in the National League, before his injury. He was hitting .305 with four homers, 31 stolen bases (tied for the league lead at the time) and a .382 on-base percentage.