KC@NYM: Wright comes up lame beating out infield hit

NEW YORK - Life without David Wright is certainly not something the Mets wanted to experience. After undergoing an MRI on Saturday morning, Wright was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a grade 2 strain of his right hamstring.

Wright suffered the injury trying to beat out a ground ball up the middle in the 10th inning of Friday's 4-2 win over Kansas City.

"It's unfortunate," Wright said. "I don't think there's any way it could've been prevented."

Somehow, the Mets have to figure out a way to absorb Wright's loss.

"There are certain guys you really almost can't afford to lose," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "He would fit that category for us."

There's no timetable on how long Wright will be sidelined. Collins said it could be anywhere from three to five weeks, while a team spokesman said two to four. Before Wright can resume any baseball activities, he'll first need to go through a running program.

Wright had been nursing a sore hamstring during the week. After stealing second base in Wednesday's 3-2 loss in Miami, Wright clutched his right leg and received treatment after the game. He also experienced a tight hamstring last weekend in Washington, but Collins said it was likely due to heat and dehydration.

Wright said he thought it was something he could play through, just a normal ache that creeps up over the course of a long season.

"We take pride in going out there and playing through certain things," Wright said. "I certainly do that. I didn't think by going out there and playing that this would happen. I don't think anybody thought this would happen. It's part of the game."

On Friday, the severity of the injury took a significant turn for the worse when he extended a bit too much trying to get an infield single.

"As much as I wanted to stay under control and not really push myself to that point," Wright said, "once you get in between those lines, something happens and you kind of reach down for that extra gear."

Mike Baxter was recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas to fill Wright's spot. Baxter was understandably glad to walk back into the Mets' clubhouse on Saturday morning, but the circumstances dimmed his excitement.

"I really wish it wasn't on these terms," said Baxter, who was hitting .212 before being sent down to Las Vegas on June 10. "Obviously watching David getting hurt like that [Friday] night, nobody wants to see that. He's the heart of the team."

Not only is Wright the team's leader, he's also the best hitter on the team. Wright went on the DL hitting .309 with 16 home runs and 54 RBIs.

New York has expressed its desire to compete through the end of the season and continue the momentum it's built over the past month. Not having Wright in the middle of the lineup is certainly going to make that a more difficult task.

"Some days we get hits. Some days we don't. I think we've been fairly inconsistent," Wright said. "We've had ups and downs, but we've got guys that are capable of getting hits and scoring runs with or without me in the lineup. I'll cheer these guys on."

This is only Wright's third DL stint trip in his career. A concussion sent him to the disabled list in 2009, as did a lower back stress fracture in 2011.

Wright's not sure whether he'll stay with the team during the rehab process. He said it all depends on the method that will get him back on the field the fastest. If that means leaving the team to recover in Port St. Lucie, Fla. at the team's Spring Training facility, so be it.

Wright just wants to return to the lineup.

"It's no fun to watch the game. I've been healthy throughout my career," Wright said. "This is a little hiccup or a little speed bump."

Niese remains on track to rejoin rotation next Sunday

NYM@ATL: Niese leaves with injury in the fourth

NEW YORK -- As long as his rehab continues to progress smoothly, left-hander Jonathon Niese will be on track to rejoin the Mets' rotation by next Sunday.

After throwing a bullpen session at Citi Field on Saturday, Niese will make one more rehab start Tuesday, most likely for Class A Brooklyn. He'd then be in line to pitch five days later in Arizona.

"That's the plan," Niese said. "Knock on wood, hopefully everything works out."

Niese has been on the disabled list since June 21 with a partial tear in his rotator cuff. Before the injury, Niese was 4-6 with a 4.32 ERA through 14 starts.

Pitching for Class A St. Lucie on Thursday, Niese threw four scoreless innings and 50 pitches. He allowed two hits with one walk and four strikeouts.

Niese said he felt good and probably could've pitched longer. He said he was able to keep his arm angle up without any pain.

"But that's the point we want to be at, to where I can take each step without any setbacks," Niese said. "I'm going to get another rehab start and see how I feel."

Feliciano thrilled to be back in Majors with Mets

KC@NYM: Feliciano gets huge out in return to bigs

NEW YORK -- Pedro Feliciano arrived at Citi Field in the middle of the Mets' game against the Royals on Friday night. By the ninth inning, he was called on to get one of the most critical outs in the game.

With runners at first and third with two outs and the game tied at 2, Feliciano made his first Major League appearance since 2010. He did exactly what the Mets needed him to do, getting Alex Gordon to ground out to second base to preserve the tie in an eventual 4-2 walk-off victory for the Mets.

"After the eighth, I didn't think I was going to pitch. I saw the situation in the ninth, tie game," Feliciano said. "They called back to the bullpen and they called my name. I got a little pumped up and I couldn't wait to get on the mound."

It was a long road for Feliciano, 36, to get back on the mound at Citi Field.

He pitched for the Mets from 2002-04, then from 2006-10. He pitched in Japan in '05. From 2008-10, Feliciano led the National League in appearances with 266.

After the 2010 season, Feliciano signed a two-year contract with the Yankees. But persistent shoulder injuries, including surgery, kept him off a big league mound for the past two seasons.

He also suffered a sprained ankle last September.

"It's been hard," Feliciano said. "I worked hard and I'm back here. Thank God they gave me another chance and I'm happy to be here again."

Feliciano was recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas on Friday to fill the roster spot of Josh Edgin, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a stress fracture in one of his ribs.

Feliciano said he got on a mid-afternoon flight from Nashville, where the Las Vegas 51s were playing, and arrived at Citi Field after Friday's game had started. When he got out to the bullpen, he exchanged hugs with his teammates.

"They're happy to see me," Feliciano said. "It's been almost three years that I've been out of here. So they see me back here, and I get happy, too. I started hugging everybody like a big family."